There he was sitting in a boat full of others doing the same thing he was. They were frantically rowing, trying to keep afloat during a storm.
His name was Peter and he wanted more for his life. He wanted to achieve great things, but there he was, stuck on a boat.
He looked out to the waves around him and noticed something unimaginable–there was a Man walking on the water.
Peter knew this Man so he asked Him to let him walk on the water too. Given permission, Peter stepped out of the boat and began to walk on water.
Everyone else sat on the boat and watched. They didn’t want to leave the security of the comforts they knew.
Which one are you?
Are you the one that sits on the sidelines watching or the one who gets out of the boat and walks on water?
Maybe you’re trying to decide if you should leave the comforts of your full-time job to be at home with your kids.
Maybe you’ve started down the path of working from home. But it seems harder than you thought and you haven’t made the amount of money you thought you would. Now you’re thinking about giving up.
The question you have to ask yourself is how far do you want to go?
God wants to take you to the deeper waters where there is an abundance of resources you need to be successful.
He has so much more for you. He has a vision for your life. You only have to believe and take the first step out of the boat.
This thought is beautifully summed up in this short recording by Marcus Rogers:
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
How To Discover Your Vision For Your Home Business and Life
How can you know God’s vision for your home business and life? Is it possible to actually discover it?
I was recently reminded of a little book I had read several years ago called, How To Know God’s Will in Your Life by Morris L. Venden. It gives eight steps to knowing God’s will:
- Have no will of your own on the given matter. You can have a preference, but be willing to go in whatever direction God leads you.
- Don’t go simply by feeling. We’re often tempted to make a decision based on how we’re feeling at the moment. But don’t do it! Your decision should be based on a combination of the results of all eight of these steps.
- Study God’s Word to discover what is revealed. God always guides us through His Word, never contrary to it. Often it’s through the principles the Bible gives.
- Consider providential circumstances. Look at how God has led you in the past and see how your current decision might fit into the way he leads.
- Consult with godly friends. The key word here is “godly.” Take their counsel and add it to what you’ve learned from the other steps.
- Ask God, in prayer, to reveal His will to you about the decision you’re about to make.
- Make a decision. Based on what you’ve learned from the previous steps, make a decision in faith. Prayerfully consider the evidence you’ve uncovered and move in the direction it leads you.
- Proceed with your decision. Ask God to stop you if you’ve missed any signals from Him, but move forward with what you’ve decided.
By following these steps, you can discover which “deeper waters” God is calling you to walk on. Now, taking what you’ve learned, let’s create your vision for your home business and life.
Create a Vision Prayer Board
I know you’ve heard about vision boards. Back in the early 2000s, people used to host vision board parties with friends. It was a big deal.
Most of the time, instructions on how to create vision boards were based on “manifesting your destiny”. “If you think it, you can have it,” many would say.
This was a concept I didn’t believe in.
I believe that we should pray and ask God for His vision for our lives. Then we can believe that He will accomplish it as we move forward in faith.-Roz Walker
Then, accepting that “what a man thinks (dwells on) in his heart, so is he,” (Proverbs 23:7) we can create a visual representation of the vision God reveals.
So when I created my boards, I considered them my “prayer boards”. I filled them with pictures and words that reflect the vision God has placed in my heart. Oftentimes, I create it in my prayer journal so I’m reminded daily to pray over it.
How do I write a vision for myself?
You may be wondering how do you write a vision for yourself? It starts with identifying what’s your own personal vision for your future and then asking God what’s His will for your life.
Look at all the areas of your life–health, financial, relational, and spiritual–and set goals that fall under each area.
- Be specific with your goals (i.e., lose 15 pounds by changing my diet and exercising 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week).
- Set a deadline (i.e., I’ll lose the 15 pounds by the end of March).
- Make sure it’s a realistic goal that’s even possible to reach. You don’t want to set yourself up for failure (i.e., lose 30 pounds in 2 weeks).
- Set goals that span 12 months with specific check-in times to see how you’re doing.
So how do you write a vision for yourself? You write down your personal vision. Then you follow the steps above in discovering God’s will for your future. As you follow, see how it aligns with your personal vision. Finally, in prayer, adjust your vision as needed and then make a decision and move forward.
So What is your vision and mission in life?
You’ve followed the steps and you now have an idea of what is your vision and mission in life. Now it’s time to make it visual.
Whether you use a poster board or your prayer journal, choose something you can actually hold and touch.
Next, look in magazines or search online for images and words that relate to your goals. Arrange them on your vision prayer board in a way that appeals to you and reflects the dreams God has placed in your heart.
Hang your vision prayer board in a place you can see it daily. If it’s in your prayer journal, you can also choose to take a picture of it to hang in a space you’ll see every day.
Commit to pray over your vision daily. Ask God to help you with the action steps you need to take to reach your goals.
Ask. Believe. Claim.
Ask God for His vision for your home business and life. Believe He will help you achieve it. And then claim that you’re already victorious.
And finally, I encourage you to share your vision with a trusted friend, mentor, or coach. The motivation to achieve your goals comes when you take a stand and declare to others what you WILL accomplish.